If you have ever felt alone in your struggle for psychological stability, rest assured that many people feel this way. Psychological treatment centers, including rehab and recovery centers for co-occurring illnesses, treat millions of people every year. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, over 26 percent of all Americans suffer from at least one mental disorder. Unfortunately, due to the stigma of mental illness, most people who suffer from even the most common disorders keep their struggles a secret, which only adds to the misconception that mental illness is rare. People hide their mental illnesses for many reasons, including:
- Fear of being ostracized.
- Misconceptions about treatment options, especially drugs.
- The possibility of losing certain jobs.
- Concerns about labels causing problems in the future.
- Fear of being seen as weak.